Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dreamboats and petticoats

Like Mish, I'm a massive fan of 1960's music - 'The Boat that Rocked' is a firm favourite. So I was more than delighted when I found out about 'Dreamboats and Petticoats', in fact I was practically in raptures watching the musical and wore the carpet threadbare with my toe tapping!
The storyline is a cutesy tale of teenage love, set in a British youth club over the summer. While it's not the most original premise, it didn't matter, as it was all about the musical score. It is in the genre of 'jukebox musical', as the score is comprised of previously released pop songs. Which are all played by live musicans during the show.

What made the night even more enjoyable, was the audience, who were mostly made up of baby boomer rockers - who crooned and bopped along to all the hit songs of their youth. One particular highlight was when a man, who would have been no younger than 75, was one of the first to leap up and unself-consciously jive along to the encore, despite his fragile appearence and stiff-legged gait.
I had such a good time, I'm tempted to go again....

No comments:

Post a Comment