Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mish's Madeleines

I had a bit of spare time on my hands today and resolved bake something delightful for afternoon tea. After flipping through one of my favourite cookbooks ‘The Cook’s Companion’ by Stephanie Alexander I decided to make use of my Madeleine tray.


Honey Madeleines

110g unsalted butter

½ a tablespoon of honey

2 eggs

1/3 cup of castor sugar

1 tablespoon of brown sugar

Pinch of salt

1 drop of pure vanilla

90g of plain flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

Pure icing sugar


Melt the 90g of butter with the honey on a low heat. Allow the mixture to cool.

Combine the eggs, castor sugar, brown sugar, salt and vanilla in a food processor.

I was a bit heavy handed with both the vanilla and the honey with no adverse effect on the end result.

Transfer this mixture to a mixing bowl; sift in the flour and baking powder. I sifted the flour and baking powder together a few times before combining it with the egg mixture.

Add the cooled butter and honey to the bowl and combine.

Leave the mixture to rest for at least an hour or overnight, I left the mixture for an hour because I’m impatient but I can see the benefit of mixing this up before bedtime and baking them for a lovely Sunday breakfast.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius

Grease the tray with the remaining butter, dust with flour and shake of any excess.

Spoon the mixture into your madeleine tray, the recipe suggested filling the moulds two thirds full and using two trays, however I used the large moulds and filled one tray.

Bake for nine minutes, make sure to set your timer!

Allow the madeleines to rest in the

tray for a minute. The recipe suggests to dislodge the madeleines by rapping the edge of the tray sharply on your countertop, this move worked a charm!

Allow to cool on a wire rack, patterned side up. The madeleines will crisp up on the outside.

Dust with icing sugar before serving. They are best served fresh from the oven on some beloved china accompanied by loose leaf tea or good quality coffee


xo Mish

No comments:

Post a Comment